Cooking with type 2 diabetes
- 17 July 2015
- Group News
Sue Hedegus is the author of 'Type 2 Diabetes Cookbook for Real Men'. Sue has published this book as a result of her husband being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.
We had a great turn out this evening. Below is a summary of the points raised by Sue.
- Sue talked about having 6 reasonably sized meals a da, rather than 3 large meals.
- Good snacks to have between meals include fruit and nuts.
- Sue's recipes are aimed at those who don't necessarily want to cook. The recipes are easy to follow, and show that you don't have to cut everything out, just because you have diabetes.
- Sue mentioned how indigestion seems to be a common occurence among people with diabetes.
- If you cook from scratch, you know what is going into your food.
- Making an apple pie or crumble? Try using normal eating apples, rather than cooking apples.
- Try replacing mashed potato with sweet potato mash.
- Instead of frying mushrooms, try boiling them!